Friday 31 January 2014

Hello World!

Hello and welcome to A Superposition of Sciences, my brand new and shiny blog about my PhD, some of the fun things I do outside of my work and my opinions on various things that catch my eye in science. I started this blog as I was lucky enough to be selected to be a bloggie for the BLOGden program from the Ogden Trust. So I finally have a kick start and an incentive to put pen to virtual paper and throw some of my thoughts out into cyber space. I'm hoping that by doing this I might be able to share some inside information on what it's like doing a PhD and cast some light on a few of the many, many doors that studying physics can open for you.

At the moment my plan is to blog properly every fortnight. That may fluctuate a little bit depending on my workload, but I'll do my best to keep on track. Additionally, on some of the off weeks I'll try and put together a few posts of interesting links that have caught my eye which I think are worth a look.

So before I start, a little bit about me. Although I like to call myself a physicist, I'm doing research in the field of tissue engineering. My tiny patch of the huge mass of stuff that makes up the field is non-destructive online monitoring. That basically means I'm trying to find ways to observe and what cells do when they grow without killing them. I mainly focus on bone cells as they should produce lots of bone mineral for me to study. I'm not going to go into too much detail now, so if you want to know more about what I do keep reading! The other thing you should know is I'm a card carrying geek. I game (both video and tabletop), watch tonnes of box sets, read as much as possible and spend lots of time chatting to my friends about what's going on in the fictional universes that I love. Due to the amount of geekery I engage in, it might creep into my blog posts every now and again. You have been warned!

With that out of the way, I humbly request that you sit back, relax and (hopefully) enjoy joining me on my on bumpy journey through the mystical, confusing and occasionally awesome world of the PhD.



No comments:

Post a Comment