Monday 24 February 2014

Link Round-up 24th February



Here's a quick look at a few of the things that have caught my eye on the internet over the past 2 weeks.
  1. Nature makes the round-up again this week. However, this time it's because they've published a lovely tutorial on the use and abuse of statistics in science. In particular they focus on the cult of the p value, a number which is often used to denote whether the result of a study could be replicated by random chance. Hopefully this article will educate others (as it has me) on the right and wrong times for using statistical tests.
  2. CERN turns 60 on the 29th September and are planning events to commemorate '60 years of science for peace' both at CERN itself and in its member states. So, keep an eye out on the events website to see what's going to be happening near you!
  3. What is the Higgs Boson and Higgs Field?
    This week  Professor Peter Higgs was interviewed by Professor Jim Al-Khalili on BBC Radio 4 and gave his explanation of what the Higgs Boson is. Which was a really great thing to listen to as a physicist, but it wasn't very accessible to the wider public. So, I thought I'd point you towards Professor John Ellis' beautifully clear explanation of the Higgs Field and the Higgs Boson.
  4. Keza MacDonald presents a fantastic article over at the Guardian looking at some of the main reasons developers avoid creating more female characters and why they don't quite add up. 
And finally, here's some floppy disc drives playing Tainted Love by Soft Cell as programmed by youtuber gigawipf. How awesome is that!

2 comments:

  1. Temporarily became my 13-year-old self at Christmas school disco listening to Tainted Love! Gonna share with my fellow teens of the '80s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's something you can share with anyone! I picked Tainted Love as an example as I've never met someone who doesn't like it. (I bet I'm about to be proven wrong now I've said that!)
      The same youtube user has done lots of other songs too, and if you liked Tainted Love, you might like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1QeeB6uNWM&list=PL6FEACF6178CE15EF , Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics!

      Delete