Monday 18 May 2015

Something to write to.

You might have picked up that I'm currently trying (with trying being the operative word) to write my PhD thesis. Writing up what you've done and trying to justify it can be agony. I'm currently looking back at some of the work I'm putting in my thesis and thinking "Why, oh, why did I do that?!" I'm also enjoying writing an introduction full of 'common knowledge' which is so common it's really hard to reference properly. Yeah, I'm having all the fun.

Due to my general lack of fondness for this writing thing, I really need motivation to keep going I manage to start typing. One of my favourite things to help me get into a writing groove is music. I find it really hard to think and write without some noise going around me and the kind of noise that helps me tune into writing the most is music. So, here's a sample of what you can find on my writing playlist,


Anything from the Doctor Who Soundtracks
My collection of Doctor Who soundtracks is one of the first things I turn to when wanting to focus in and get something done. I don't know what it is about those soundtracks in particular which really help me get into a productive groove, but they do. Maybe it's because it helps me trick my brain into thinking that I'm doing something I really enjoy rather than writing. Or maybe it's because it makes doing science feel that little bit more epic.


Something in Japanese.
J-pop is one of my really not guilty-about-it guilty pleasures. How can you not love it when almost every pop song has a shredding guitar solo in it! What makes it a top pick of mine to write to is that I don't understand the lyrics so instead of singing along in my head I can just let it wash over me and keep writing. My favourite Japanese song at the moment is "Gurren No Yumia" by Linked Horizon, made famous as the main theme from the titanic (haha!) Attack on Titan. Where else would you get a crazy awesome fusion of rock and classical music with an organ solo thrown in for good measure? For something a little bit more conventional I might turn to Magia by Kalifina or Hacking to the Gate by Itou Kanoko.

 

Something From a Musical
There are times when working I need something I can sing along to in my head and, as I'm a musical junkie, something from a musical will always perk me up and make me a happy writing camper. My favourite tracks at the moment are "Nobody's Side" and "Where I Want to Be" from Chess. Actually, just all of Chess with Benny and Bjorn's amazing music and Tim Rice's beautiful lyrics.


Florence and the Machine
Florence and the Machine are amazing. At times when I need something to metaphorically grove to while I work they are one of my most popular choices. At the moment I can't get enough of "What Kind of Man" and I'm counting down to 1st June so I can get my hands on the new album.


An Awesome Parody Song
I often need a motivational boost when writing and for some strange reason one of the best things I can do to get myself back in the zone is to listen to a parody song. Honestly, I have no idea why, but it works for me! My current go to track is "Diggy Diggy Hole" by Yogscast. But Not Literally's Game of Thrones parody Some Character I Used to Know and cover of I Don't Care are also high up on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment