Monday 14 July 2014

Weekly Round-up 14th July 2014

Happy Monday! Here's this week's link round-up for you of freshly squeezed internet goodness.

  1. Ever wondered what happens if you stick your hand in liquid nitrogen? I hadn't until this IFL Science post popped up on my facebook feed. Don't get me wrong, I love fun with liquid nitrogen, I've seen it poured onto hands and floors, as well as make a magnet float but still, dipping my hand into it never crossed my mind. However, it seems it has crossed someone's mind so check out the link and video above to see what happens!
  2. Common science myths debunked.
    This week IFL Science have also lifted the lid on some common science myths that just won't go away. Have a look and see if you learn something!
  3. The LHC warms up by cooling down
    CERN have begun cooling down the LHC ready to start a new round of experiments in early 2015, after a 3 year stop for repairs, which will let the LHC smash particles together at even higher energies. After lots of data analysis the Higgs appears to be behaving as expected under the standard model, but there is so much more to look for such as new particles and super symmetry (the LHC has already ruled out some forms of this). Fingers crossed the switch on goes well, but in the meantime I'm sure there will be further news on the properties of the Higg's Boson coming our way.
Finally, this week has seen two exciting reveals; firstly the cover for 'A Wicked Thing', my friend Rhiannon's first novel (coming out in Feb 2015 in the US)! Secondly, the first full trailer for Doctor Who Series 8, roll on August 23rd!

Currently Watching Tokyo Ghoul and Terror in Resonance aka this summer's 2 most hyped anime series. After 1 and 2 episodes respectively I'm impressed, both have interesting premises and characters as well as directors with impressive pedigrees so I can't wait to see what happens next! (I also tried Sailor Moon Crystal, but erm... I think I'll just watch the abridged series of that...) You can catch both series legally and free on wakanim.co.uk in the UK now.
Currently Playing (well about to start playing) Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, and I'm both excited and apprehensive about it. As a fan of the much maligned 4E version of the game, the striping down of powers (I like being epic), optional nature of tactical combat and grids is a little bit worrying. However, I love the new back story features in character creation, and the look of main line adventure series, so fingers crossed it turns out to be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment